Facebook chat and messages enable you to communicate privately with your friends on Facebook. On this article, we will be looking at a lot of feature Facebook has made available on the messenger app. Among the Facebook features, Facebook Chat is one of the best features ever.
To get started, on exploring the IM client, tap in the bottom right-hand corner to begin.
- Start by exploring the Facebook Chat Contacts List: The Facebook Chat buddy list acts as the nerve center for instant messaging communications on the social network. It also displays online friends who are ready for chat, be it an IM or video chat, the contacts list is also positioned where you can access a myriad of controls and settings to personalize the experience as you deem fit.
- Activity Feed: Just above your contacts, you will notice a continuously updated feed of activity and information from the feed of activity and information from your friends on the Facebook social media platform. Tapping on entries enables you to comment on photos, Wall posts and more without leaving your current page.
- Buddy List: Your contacts are organized into two different categories, below the activity feed, including most recent and often contacted friends on top and “More online Friends”, or people who have not received an IM from you recently.
- Search: This feature enables you find your friends easily, when you type in the name of a Facebook contact in the search field situated in the lower left corner. This can come in handy for those who have hundreds or even thousands of friends.
- Settings: The Facebook Chat sound settings is located under the cogwheel icon. This enables you block specific people and groups, and also log off Facebook Chat.
- Collapse Sidebar: Tapping on this icon shrinks your buddy list and activity feed down to the tab.
- Availability Icons: Facebook marks online friends with one of two icons, the green dot which signifies a user is online on their PC and able to get an instant message. The mobile phone icon also signifies the user is able to chat from their mobile or smart device.
How to send IMs on Facebook Chat
- Tap open your buddy list, and locate a friend you intend to send an instant message.
- Fill in your text in the field provided at the bottom of the screen, and tap “Enter” on your keyboard to send.
- How to use Emoticons on Facebook Chat
To add emoticons, type in the keystrokes needed to allow an emoticon, or tap the menu in the lower right corner and tap on the icon you wish to use
- How to Group Chat on Facebook
- Begin a Facebook Chat conversation with any person on your buddy list you wish to involve in your group chat
- Tap the cogwheel icon, situated in the upper right corner of the window
- Choose “Add Friends to Chat” from the drop-down menu
- In the field given, fill in the names of your friends you desire to add to your group chat
- Tap the blue “Done” button to get started
After the group chat is enabled, you can send an instant message to multiple users at the same time.
- How to Make Video Calls on Facebook Chat
- Tap on your friend’s name on your buddy list
- Find the camera icon in the upper right corner of the IM window
- The video calling will be enabled dialing your friend
- Hold as your contact decides to either accept or reject your call
How to Block a Facebook Chat Contact
- Tap on the contact’s name on your buddy list that you wish to block
- Tap the cogwheel icon in the upper right corner of the instant messaging window
- Choose “Go Offline to (Name).”
- How to Block Groups of People on Facebook
- Open the Facebook Chat buddy list/sidebar
- Tap the cogwheel icon in the lower right corner of the buddy list
- Choose “Advanced Settings”
- Enter in the names of the people you wish to block on window that pops up
- Tap the blue “Save” button in the lower right corner to allow these elections
How to Minimize the Facebook Chat Buddy List
To collapse the sidebar, tap the icon in the lower right corner to minimize the buddy list to a tab on the bottom of the screen.
To maximize the buddy list, tap on the tab and the sidebar will return nested to the right of the screen.
- How to Access Your Facebook Chat History in 2 Ways
While Instant Messaging:
- Tap the cogwheel icon in the top right corner of the IM window
- Choose “See Full Conversation”
- View all the chat history in your Massage inbox
In Your Chat Inbox
- Open your inbox
- Fill in your contact’s name in the search field in the upper right corner of your inbox
- Choose resulting entries to view past conversations
- How to Turn Off Facebook Chat Sounds
- Search for the cogwheel icon in the bottom right corner of the buddy list, and tap “Chat Sounds”
- When a check mark pops up next to this option, you have enabled sounds. To disable, tap and remove the checkmark.